All our campervans are professionally converted high-roof Toyota HiAce vans. They are ideal for two adults and come packed full of stuff to make your New Zealand campervan adventure unforgettable.
Each van features everything you’d expect from a camper:
- A kitchen including gas stove & grill, fridge, sink with running water and enough space and height to cook standing up indoors (unlike some campers out there).
- A spacious living / dining space with two sofas and a removable table, which easily turn into a comfortable queen size bed by night.
- Lots of storage for all your stuff.
- All the kit we think you need (no extra charge). Take a look at what’s inside further down this page.
We keep our vans in great condition, and we’re constantly updating them.
- Our customers asked, for cup holders so we made some.
- The new Freedom Camping rules came in so we SELF CONTAINED all of our vans – for more details of what this means see here.
- The mattresses were getting a little thin, so in 2015 we replaced them all with brand new ones.
- We have removed the logos from our vans – they are now just white. This means that you won’t stand out as a tourist, you can pretend to be a Kiwi!
We have also added some extra features to our vans
- We’ve fitted car stereos with Aux-in, USB-in and a CD player that plays mp3 & wma as well as standard CDs. We’ve also added better speakers. Bring your iPod and plug it in and you have all your tunes at your fingertips, What’s the point of a road trip if you can’t play the soundtrack?
- 4 USB charging sockets, 2 in the front & 2 in the back so you can charge your phone / camera whilst on the road.
- A safe box to hide your valuables (big enough for passports, phones, credit cards etc.)
- Surfer-friendly setup including secure & out of the way storage for surfboards. For more info see here.
- Optional bike racks & rental bikes – NZ is a great place to explore on 2 wheels.
You get all of this in a van that fits in a normal size parking space… brilliant!
We include the following as standard in our Campervans:
- In the kitchen there’s pots & pans, plates & bowls, knives, forks & spoons, mugs & glasses, chopping board, serving bowl and other cooking gear, a stove-top kettle & a fantastic insulated stainless steel coffee pot.
- A variety of bedding options appropriate to the season you’ll visit during (usually duvet, 4 pillows, sheets & extra blanket).
- Folding Camp Chairs
- Useful buckets (for laundry, wet clothes, beer & ice…)
- Our ‘Eco on the Road’ kit – reusable coffee cups, fabric produce bags, reusable shopping bag, washing line & pegs.
- The surfer friendly kit.
- A safe box which is great for storing your passports, small electrical items, backup of your photos (on a USB stick) and any other valuables you have.
- Gear for dealing with Emergencies including a first aid kit, fire extinguisher & tools for dealing with minor mechanical issues like flat tyres.
We have a selection of other kit that you may find useful. These are free of charge and subject to availability;
- Various maps and guide books, stove-top espresso pot (a french press / plunge pot is included in the vans as standard), hot water bottle, folding table, storage boxes.
During peak season, we also have a box of food and consumables (washing powder, olive oil, ketchup, herbs & spices etc. etc.) left in vans by other customers. You are welcome to help yourselves to anything you might find useful during your holiday – waste not want not!
We offer the following as optional extras which you will need to pay for:
- From beginner’s boards to the sickest shortboards & fantastic custom longboards, its all available in Raglan. We can arrange this in advance or point you in the right direction for you to do it yourself when you get here. We recommend Raglan Longboards who offer some very good long-term hire rates.
- Fan Heater
- Baby or Child Car Seat
Please contact us for prices and request them at the time of booking. Also, if you want something that isn’t listed above ask us and we’ll see what we can do to help you out.
Adapted for Surfers
So what makes our vans perfect for surfers? Several things actually, apart from the obvious:
Fitted in the roof of our vans are two sets of straps for holding surfboards. This keeps up to four boards (including two longboards/Malibu boards) inside the van, out of the way and out of sight. So you can park in town without worrying about them, or make lunch without tripping up over them, or make the bed without dinging your lovely board, or go to sleep without hugging them (of course if you like taking your board to bed, you still can & we won’t judge you!).
Wet Wetsuit Storage
Under a bench we’ve given you a trug (a big, flexible bucket) to store your wet suit, boots & other wet things. It’s also really handy for rinsing your salty gear in. Simple but priceless!
New Zealand Surf Guide Book
From Ahipara to Wellington, Kumara patch to Kaikoura this fat little beauty has them all. Over 500 pages with details of over 450 breaks, advice on swell predicting for the various regions, local tips and surf shops. It is the surfer’s bible here in NZ and it will be waiting in your van to share its secrets with you.
- A place to chill waiting for the tide, swell & wind to come right.
- Hot drinks / cold beer available (you did stock the fridge didn’t you?)
- Space to relax post-surf
- Dry and private changing space.
- Finally, the van’s small enough to get down roads & tracks to the coast that some of the big motorhomes just wouldn’t manage.
Suitable for Cyclists
Do you want to combine a New Zealand cycling holiday with a New Zealand Campervan roadtrip? Yes? Well you’ve come to the right place! Maybe you want to surf too? No problem! Our vans and cars can carry bikes and surfboards and still leave you with plenty of space.
PiwiWiwi Offer Bike Racks and Bicycle Hire
We have FIAMMA & Thule PRORide bike racks. Downhill or Cross-country mtb, road, racing or commuter bike we can carry it all!
We offer airport collection and we offer bike racks. So of course if you are travelling with your own cycle we can collect you and your bikes from Auckland or Hamilton Airports in the same hassle-free style all our customers have come to love. If you don’t want the hassle of bringing your bike over to NZ, don’t worry. We can rent you high quality bikes with your campervan rental.
Mountain Biking in New Zealand
When I’m not surfing, working on this website or working in general, I like to get offroad and so I can give some insight into this. New Zealand has some great trails on offer up and down the country. Of course there’s the famed Redwood Trails at Whakarewarewa Forest in Rotorua and the infamous 42nd Traverse but there’s far more to N Z than that! From the far North, through Auckland, Coromandel, Wairakei, Taupo, Hutt Valley, Fox Glacier, Queenstown and on South there’s hundreds to choose from. For a comprehensive (though not complete, there’s just too much!) guide check out the Kennett brothers’ ‘Classic New Zealand Mountain Bike Rides’
Here’s a record of one of our bike trips from our Blog
Raglan Electric Bikes
Finally, whether or not you use our PiwiWiwi Surf CamperVans you might like to give our sister company’s offerings a go. Raglan Electric Bikes offers carbon footprint free, sweat free sightseeing around Raglan. Fantastic!
HiAce Technical Details
HiAce NZ Surf Campervan features
• Standing height for even a six-foot man, making wet days and getting into your wettie much easier.
• Full queen-size bed (1.85m x 1.50m)
• Dining table (in day mode)
• Loads of storage under benches
• Surf board straps to accommodate up to 4 surf boards
• Wet suit storage
• 60L Fridge/Freezer
• Sink with electric pump and water tank
• 2 Burner gas cooker with Grill
• Fold out worksurface
• Fold out table (in addition to dining table)
• Plenty of storage
• Stereo with line in, usb in, cd, mp3, WMA & CD player. Oh & radio too…
• 12V ‘cigarette lighter’ connection for charging gizmos
• 4 USB charging sockets, 2 in cab, 2 in back
• Windows for viewing the stunning sights of beautiful New Zealand
• Seatbelts in front cab for three adults (two 3-point & one lap belt)
• Power Steering
• Central Locking
• Fire Extinguisher
• Vehicle Jack and basic tools
• 2.4L petrol engine
• 5-speed manual transmission
• Fuel type: Unleaded
• Fuel tank capacity: 70 litres
• Fuel consumption: approximately 11 litres per 100km
• Leisure battery & split charging system so you don’t need to worry if the van will start!
Campervan dimensions (Overall)
• Length: 4.80m (15’9”)
• Width: 1.75m (5’8”)
• height: 2.50m (8’3”)
• Interior height: 1.84m (6’0”)